Shark Navigator Deluxe reviews: The NV42 has great performance on multiple surfaces but it is a bit heavy and doesn’t last long. Read more about it here …
|Our rating: 4.7/5
We’re reviewing one of Shark’s older vacuum models, the Shark Navigator Deluxe NV42. It’s still available on Amazon, and we wanted to know if this model is a good vacuum cleaner to have at home. Just because it’s not the latest model doesn’t mean it’s not good, right?
The Shark Navigator Deluxe has the following notable features:
- Never Loses Suction Technology
- Extra Large Capacity, Bottom-Empty Dust Cup
- 25’ Power Tools
- Long 12-foot flexible hose
- 1200 watt motor
The NV42 has the following tools and attachments:
- Pet Hair Power Brush
- Dusting Brush
- 24” and 5.5” Crevice Tool
- The dimensions of the NV42 are: 12.8 x 10 x 35 inches
- The weight of the vacuum is approximately 14 pounds.
- The cleaning path is 9.25 inches wide.
Bag and Cord Type
- This vacuum does not require a bag.
- The cord of the NV42 is 25 feet long.
The Shark Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum can clean carpets and bare floors. To use the vacuum for bare floor cleaning, make sure that the switch is on setting 1. In this setting, the vacuum operates with suction-only and the brush roll is in stationary mode. For carpet cleaning, use the vacuum on setting 2. The setting activates the motorized brush that helps dislodge the dirt from your carpet. The vacuum’s suction might be too strong for some types of carpet. If the vacuum is difficult to move along the carpet surface, you can lessen the suction power by opening the valve at the top end of the hose. When the handle is fully upright, the brush roll will not be activated. The brush roll can be activated when the handle is pulled back toward you.
The Shark Navigator Deluxe NV42 has a 3-quart capacity dirt cup. The capacity of the dirt cup is good, especially for those who need to clean a lot of rooms. Along with the suction power and large capacity of this vacuum, the accessories work to enhance your cleaning efficiency. The NV42 comes with a Pet Hair Power Brush, Dusting Brush, and two Crevice Tools. To use the attachments, place the vacuum in the upright position. Remove the hose from the cleaning wand and insert your tool of choice into the hose connector.
As with other bagless vacuums, it is recommended that you clean the dirt cup as often as possible. Every time you use the vacuum, empty the dirt container once you are done. If the area you are cleaning is very dirty, you might need to empty the dust cup even before you are finished. Remember not to let the dirt pass the max fill line in the dust cup. Frequent cleaning of the container is a good way to prevent the vacuum from breaking down.
Another maintenance practice you should perform is the cleaning of the vacuum’s filters. You should wash and air dry (24 hours) the pre-motor foam and felt filters once every month. If you use the vacuum to clean very dirty floors frequently, you need to consider washing these filters more than once a month. As for the motor filter, Shark recommends that you clean it once a year under normal use. Refer to the product manual for specific instructions on cleaning the filters.
When the dust cup and filters are dirty, the suction power of your vacuum can decrease.
Ask the merchant or authorized dealer about protection plans for the NV42.
The NV42 has received a couple thousand reviews. The majority of the reviews gave this vacuum a positive review. We read the Shark Navigator Deluxe reviews and summarized some of the important comments that users have noted through the years.
- Great performance on multiple surfaces. This Shark vacuum has great suction power and can do the job it is built for. Numerous reviews mentioned that it was able to clean carpets very well and can lift pet hair efficiently.
- Brush roll switch. The setting that allows the brush roll to be switched off is a good feature. It helps when you are cleaning dirt from tiled surfaces, wood floors or other bare floors.
Important Critical Reviews
- A little heavy. Many users noted that this vacuum was a little heavier than expected. The vacuum would have been easier to use if it was lighter.
- Wish it lasted longer. There were some users who said their NV42 lasted them under two years and wished it lasted longer. The built of this vacuum doesn’t seem to be durable, which is something commonly seen in affordable vacuums. However, proper care and maintenance can prolong the life of the vacuum. (Read more customer reviews here)
- Washable filters. The Shark NV42 Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum comes with washable filters that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Good suction power. There’s no arguing that this vacuum can suck well.
- Better built. The vacuum works well but some of the reviews we read made us doubt how long this vacuum can last.
Should You Buy?
This Shark vacuum is affordable, and it can do the task it was made to do. We don’t see why you shouldn’t give it a try. The challenge might be looking for an authorized dealer that sells this vacuum. The Shark NV42 Bagless Navigator Deluxe Upright Vacuum is one of the older models and has been discontinued. It’s still available on Amazon but we’re not sure for how long.